Monday, August 15, 2011

Romantic Names

Romantic names – Shakespeare said it best in Romeo and Juliet - "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." But then Shakespeare, generally, always says it best.
Would your favourite romantic novel be as wonderful if the heroine were Gertrude or Esmerelda? Writers spend a lot of time trying to create the perfect name for their characters. They say them out loud and often send them to their critique group to see how it goes there. The name has to have an aura – something that makes the reader know that this is the heroine.
A few romantic heroines – books and movies
Juliet – Romeo and Juliet
Anna – Anna Karina
Jane – Jane Eyre
Scarlett – Gone With the Wind
Rose – Titanic
Yes the list is short. I was ruthless in my selection. I stayed away from the sci-fi heroines (Trinity – Matrix) or the paranormal ones (Bella – Twilight).
Is it the name that is romantic or the persona of the character? Scarlett and Rose have dramatic and romantic sounds, but Jane? My apologies to any Janes reading this.
I created Julie Anderson, my character in Circles Interlocked, a long time ago. I don't remember why I picked the name, but to me the name Julie fits her perfectly. Of the numerous meanings of the name Julie, beautiful and vivacious are two which Robert would agree with.
What is the name of your favourite heroine? or What is the most romantic female name?


3 comments:

  1. What a great topic! I know I always try to find that perfect name for my chracters and soemtimes it's hard. I really, really like Madison in Karma Club, Ever in Evermore, and Hannah in Thirteen Reasons Why. But these are all YA reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great topic! I know I always try to find that perfect name for my chracters and soemtimes it's hard. I really, really like Madison in Karma Club, Ever in Evermore, and Hannah in Thirteen Reasons Why. But these are all YA reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YA needs romantic names too. Thanks for stopping by - twice :-)

    ReplyDelete